Sunday, July 24, 2011

Art Walk Las Olas....Finally

Statue outside of the Museum of Art
So it has been a crazy busy weekend and it took me longer than expected to post about the Art Walk.  But....I finally got around to it.  The walk was fun! I didn't really know what to expect, and since I was going alone I didn't know if I would be one of the only people actually going to all of the exhibits, but that wasn't the case at all.

Picture of an exhibit I got in trouble for taking,
ooops!
I started at the top of the street (the 100 block) at the Museum of Art.  For the Art Walk you got free admission to the exhibits, and there was a free t-shirt screening outside (unfortunately I hadn't brought a t-shirt and they didn't sell them).  There was also a live band, and drink specials!  I got my wristband for free admission and walked through the photography exhibit.  Then, I got myself a glass of wine, an Art Walk map, listened to the music for a few minutes, then started off to the next stop.

My memorabilia from the first stop
Gallery (I didn't photograph the art this time)
The next real stops were not for several blocks, I went into several art galleries in the next few blocks.  They were interesting and slightly pretentious (as art galleries tend to be).  But, I got a couple free glasses of wine and some cheese out of the deal, and I got to see some Piccasos' and Rembrants'.  There were street performers along the way, I tried to get a picture of the "green man" (who was exactly what he sounds like) but he was running too quickly down the street.  At one of the restaurants they were offering $5 dollar margaritas and 1/2 priced apps.

It was the perfect evening for walking down Las Olas, I had been expecting rain so I was glad it held off.  Finally, I had met up with a few people and we were planning on going to Rocco's Tacos a very popular taco and tequila bar on Las Olas, but the wait was an hour and a half....so we decided to go to the Floridian instead, one of the oldest diners (apparently).  That was the end of the night for me, although they did have independent films in the park after dark, like I said it was kind of a crazy weekend so I called it a night.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Art Walk, they run it once a month and it is always a little different.  They take August off, so I will have to wait to see what Sept brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment