Tuesday, July 19, 2011

EnCore!

I have been doing pilates on and off for the past 6 years.  Thanks to Phyl London, my favorite and irreplaceable pilates and fitness trainer in Boston, I have become addicted to pilates and deemed it necessary to find studio when I moved down to Florida. So, my second new thing was to try out a pilates class at EnCore Pilates.  Besides being a good workout, I figured I could meet some new people!

However,  I did not find EnCore right away.  Finding, or actually attending, a pilates class turned out NOT to be an easy task!! The first week I moved down here I joined a gym.  I tried a few out (L.A. Fitness and Bally's specifically) and ended up joining Bally's because it was about 1 mile from my apt, cheap, and they had a pilates studio.  When I joined i told them I was interested in pilates and asked for some more info, they told me someone would call me.....never happened.  Then I signed up for an orientation on the sheet outside the studio.....no one called.  THEN, I went on a Saturday (when they have a intro class) and stood outside the door until someone came over....NOPE!  I finally just asked for a price sheet and left, figuring if no one is going to the classes it wouldn't be good or fun anyway.  I stick to cardio and free weights now at Bally's... along with watching the strange outfits that people in South Florida wear to the gym, work boots and collared shirts really?!?!

EnCore is great! They offer a complimentary first class for any of the classes they offer (Pilates reformer, Xtend Barre, Yoga, Zumba, and pilates mat).  The studio is clean and welcoming.  The staff is friendly and knowledgeable.  They offer online scheduling and a range of class times from 6:30am to 7:30pm.  Best part for me is they are about 3 blocks from my office so I can go before or after work!!


I signed up for a Pilates Circuit class, a mixture of reformer and tower machines.  It is not traditional Stott Pilates, which is what I did with Phyl in Boston, but very similar.  I think its called Power Pilates?? But the reformer is set up almost identically, and it was easy to follow.  The studio has a very wide age range for clients, some of them would make great cast members on "The Real Housewives of Boca" haha.  That being said there definitely is potential for meeting people.  My second adventure was a success!

I signed up for 10 classes, and best of all its CHEAPER than Bally's would have been anyway, WIN!

My next post will be about the Art Walk Las Olas on Thursday.  Should be a lot of fun, they offer drink and food specials at all of the Las Olas restaurants and bars.......and art of course :-)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Sarah! I'm more of a Yoga girl, but I might give Pilates a try. That sucks that the gym wasn't helping you. That art walk sounds awesome! Such a Florida thing and you'll be able to do it year round! Keep up the posts! You're giving me a lil inspiration to post on things other than clothes!! :)

    ReplyDelete