Sunday, July 17, 2011

My first new thing!

So I decided to start off slow, haha, it is Sunday after all.  I went to Barnes and Noble early today (obviously not my new thing) and got the new Cooking Light Fresh Food Superfast cookbook.

My friend Liz had recommended the Cooking Light cookbooks over a year ago because the recipes are good, easy, and have pictures so you can see what the finished product is supposed to look like.  Superfast sounded even better than fast because I am VERY unmotivated to do anything strenuous after I get home from work in the evening.  As of right now I am not much of a cook.  I can make eggs, pasta and baked chicken....but that's about it.  So I figure its time to learn!
I picked out 2 recipes, a chicken dish (I said I was starting slow...lol) and a dessert.

Just as the book described they were both SUPERfast!  The chicken (once defrosted) took about 15 min from start to finish.  The recipe was a prosciutto wrapped chicken breast.  I took the chicken and wrapped it in a slice of prosciutto, with one sage leaf inside, and battered it with a salt, pepper, and flour.  It was cooked for 10 min in a saucepan.  It tasted pretty good (maybe a little salty, but def had flavor).


The dessert, Mississippi Mud Pie Cupcakes, were simple. The recipe used "no pudge" brownie mix as a cupcake batter and then added chocolate kisses and mini marshmallows as a frosting.  The end result was kinda gooo-y(??) but delicious!!  They definitely taste better than they look.

Soooooo, this was my first new thing, and I think it was a success.  Both attempts came out edible and I didn't burn down the apt (baby steps)!!  For the first few weeks I plan to make one of my new things a recipe from the cookbook, just to get in the habit of cooking.  Keep checking back for my next adventure!!

1 comment: